I’m using Plagron Terra Grow, which has a recommended maximum dose of 5 ml per liter of water. I initially started with a half dose — 2.5 ml/L. However, after noticing brown spots and yellowing leaves (signs of phosphorus and nitrogen deficiencies), an experienced grower recommended I increase the dose to 4.0 ml/L.
I checked the soil pH using a pH meter and found it to be around 5.0–5.5, which is too acidic for soil. At that level, the plant struggles to properly absorb nutrients. My goal is to bring the pH closer to the ideal range of 6.0–7.0.
I don’t think overwatering is the issue — if anything, I was underwatering, allowing the soil to get quite dry between waterings. But I noticed the leaves deteriorated more during the driest days, so lately I’ve been keeping the soil slightly more moist.
My tap water has a pH of about 8.0, and even after watering the plant several times with it (sometimes with nutrients, sometimes without), the soil pH still wasn’t rising enough. I added dolomite lime granules, but they seem too slow-acting for immediate correction. I checked once the pH of the water runoff which was 6.5-7.0, the same pH as the water i gave it, but the soil pH did not adjust accordingly.
I read on the RQS website that carefully adding baking soda to the water can help raise soil pH more quickly. I mixed 1 tablespoon of baking soda in 5 liters of water, then gave 2 liters of that solution (with nutrients included) to the plant. This resulted in the soil pH rising to around 6.0–6.5, depending on where I measured in the soil. I’m hoping this doesn’t modify the soil microbiome too much but at the moment, i need an immediate fix for my soil issue because my plant wont survive.
Here is a photo of the top new leaves, but you can see the problem is the surrounding lower leaves.