@ImpaLa604, thanks for your comments. I’ve never really posted the soil recipe I am using but since you kindly asked:
My base mix is equal parts peatmoss, compost and/or wormcastings and perlite for aeration.
To this I add (per cu.ft. or 7 gallons of base mix):
1C Kelp Meal
1C ground Neem Meal
1C ground Karanja Meal
1C ground Malted Barley Sprouts
1/2C Mineralized Phosphate (high P guano)
1C Crabshell Meal
1C Oyster Shell Flour
1C Gypsum
1C Ground Eggshells
1/2C Dolomite Lime
1/2C Feather Meal
I used Promix Veg&Herb instead of peatmoss for this go around and Promix HP works real well. The compost/wormcastings were homemade from my worm bin or outdoors (dried leaves and rotten felled trees are a good source). Peat moss would work as well, you just need to inoculate with some mycos to get the microbe population going.
Mix all ingredients well and moisten with water until you can form a clump with your hand that will hold shape yet readily crumble. The mix was cooked for about 3 weeks since Alfalfa generates heat while decomposing. I would turn the mix over if it starts smelling ammoniated and moisten if it gets too dry. You can cook them in your final pots.
Anyway, I think that is all the basics. This is a water only recipe. I use tap water with a PH 8.0+ and 190 PPMs. Once in a while, I do a molasses/water feed (1T per gallon) to feed the microbes especially prior to flip. Veg is when I follow the wet/dry cycle to promote good root development. It also kills off a lot of microbes so I give them a tea of what I have available.
Hope this gives everyone some ideas and try their own hand at making their own soil.
edited to remove Alfalfa from mix.