Nice homemade system! Great ingenuity and fabrication right there
The Best Indoor Grow Method? What are your thoughts?
39 respuestas · 579 visitas
Dwc and rdwc your constantly watching but with ebb and flow, if you have a pH doser and a chiller are the key factors to being as automated as I am. Wifi pH dosers with up and down both are 600$$ blue lab make what I have and it’s only one or the other but as soon as we get through the holidays, I’m buying the growee doser. It’s a dual doser so it can raise or lower by automation via a set pH or you can control it off your phone to fine tune things. This device and a good size res (150 gallon res) I could go away for 2 weeks on vacation and not have to worry about anything in my grow room
Nice. Funny, I am away over xmas and wondering what the hell to do about this.
Especially as it falls right when I will need to flip lol.
Think I will have to transplant to autopots on this run, but you’ve defo got me thinking about the iteration beyond. Really like the sound of your setup.
Thats definitely an impressive set-up forsure. Automation is my future. Auto pot is the organic version of hydro. If i were to apply new dry amendments and fill up a good size water reservoir i could basically leave the house for a month. Thats the dream.
If you want to reuse soil and want simplicity look into a grassroots living soil bed. I’m buying the 4x4 bed for my 5x5 tent. I’ll be installing blumats for automated watering. I’ll just top dress weekly and top up the blumats res. The soil will be the same soil for atleast the next 10 years if not the rest of my life. Look up the build a soil YouTube. All he talks about is soil getting better with each use.
Wow. I hope you will share your entire grow with us? please ![]()
Very nice that you figured out how to upload photos. Sometimes photos tells you more than a very long text. Very nice selfmade system. I really like it. Don’t stop with it. Next time I will try to use my 3d printers a little more for some upgrades. Just for fun. And for sure. Nice looking plants. ![]()
I will for sure. I’m not on here much but I’m in the discord channel everyday lol. I’ll post my grow logs once I get started. I’m in the process of expanding my grow. The 8x4 is my new tent but I have a 5x5 and a 3x3 also since we are allowed 12 plants now.
Blumats might do great in a living soil setup. They are a pain to get dialed in but once calibrated they generally work very well. I’d avoid running any nutrients through them without a line cleaner . . . ceramic disk thing will get fouled and cause issues.
We got rid of them after one stuck open and ran 20 gallons through a plant and onto a friend’s shop floor. I haven’t personally worked with them in 10+ years so there could be improvements. Just be flood aware and prepared.
i use coco perlite and nutrient feedings once a week for my auto flower plants. soil organics ect. seem to causes more headaches and issues with the plants imbalances between nutes and the soil ph Nd toxitities.
I find i have less yields and more leaf damage using dirt indoors. coco perlite and my feeding scedual provides much less work and worry as they grow.
I was also reluctant to use hydroponics but I had to change my mind. I am using an oxypot system with continuous drip expanded clay using only an aquarium air pump. I check every day but it takes me 10 minutes between checking ph- ec and filling the water if necessary. I change solution every 10 days (10 liters in total). An explosive and lush growth. I also use the land but I hope to get rid of it sooner or later.
You can change!!
DWC/RDWC is hands down the best method for sheer growinb power. It scares people due to lookkng hard to setup and the up front cost but it works out cheaper innthe long run since you dont pay for a medium.
Its also one of the most hands ofv methods as well, 1 full fill can easily last 2 weeks for 4x plants.
Pretty much have given every grow method a good crack but settled on trees in coco.
6-10 week vege depending on strain
90L pots
Fed once every couple days in vege and once a day into flower.
No run to waste,
All feed that runs off sits in the tray until eaten
Underlighting… FTW
C02
day 28 Grandpas Cookies
Can ya post up a better pic of the lights you’re using for the under canopy? Great looking grow too!
Thank you.
The under lights lights are just cheap 300w ufos. I have also used 500w but prefer the 300w just because of the size and the heat they put out is a better balance for me. Some friends prefer 500w. Even 100w leds will add weight and quality underneath
I honestly dont know why underlighting isn’t really a thing. Its not new. it’s a done thing around my neck of the woods. It literally adds pounds to wasted space. No small buds. Nice nugs right through.
The leaves all twist up and look deficient the stems turn purple underneath because she’s a little confused about where the sun is but she rewards you with yield because she knows you care.
Pic of what I call the morning scalp massage. Blast the top of the coco to get all the micro bubbles and fizz to tickle the feeder roots… I love this plant
17L each feed today @ 30 days
She sits in that all day, feeding off it. No liquid has ever run off to waste. No ec or ph reading taken ever from the run off. Really simple stuff and that’s why I have settled on this tech.
Nice looking setup and grow . . . I think your methods and results help demonstrate how coco-coir is likely the best medium out there for indoor cannabis. Treat it like soil and it performs like soil . . . treat it like hydro and it performs like a hydro system.
you never want to treat coco like soil…it doesnt perform like soil at all and Coco is very different to soil lol.
Also DWC/RDWC is the overall best method for indoor and you gain bigger yields.
Thanks frogrogy. I never thought of coco like that but is spot on.
I really like threads like these when they pop up over the years.
Learn a bunch of stuff. Change a bunch of stuff. Repeat
3 years ago I would have posted a HFF setup.
I gave it a good crack and spent a bunch of money but always had mediocre grows and non finishers.
Frustrating stuff if you swing perfectionist and everything seems always on point.
Regarding coco, I kinda see we are being “influenced” by nutrient lines through YouTube and podcasts toward HFF. it definitely gets excellent results when it’s all going well. Commercially they have the gear to do it. Multiple monitoring sensors, dosatrons, etc. The regular home grower with a 9-5 job doesn’t stand a chance:)
Id still encourage folks to try HFF, I learnt a bunch of stuff about coco. Like you can do the complete opposite of HFF and get stress free consistent medicine:) A friend puts 30pound in the bag every grow from 6 plants guaranteed. I still think BS not possible until im looking at her plants sitting in feed half the day… As a home grower can’t ask for more than that really.
Honestly Mitcho I would have agreed with you a couple years back.
I think the nutrient line used plays a huge role on how the plant preforms in coco.
If I let my plants sit in Athena salts and only fed them once every 2-3 days in vege like I am atm my plants would die.
If you keep growing awesome girls like you are in dwc you will have inspired me to get down my rdwc gear from storage and dust off the ole water chiller.
I would argue tho that any recirculating system like dwc, flood and drain etc will never yield more than a drain to waste style grow for the very fact that fresh nutrient is fed in drain to waste every feed where a recirculating system generally gets fresh nutrient every reservoir change.
Also I didn’t like how selective you need to be in what you use for feed.
Mono-silicic acid definitely helps yield. My room turned to a foam party using mono-silicic acid in DWC I couldn’t use cyco xl. Another proven yield boosting staple in these parts. Anything slightly organic in the res had mixed results,
I really enjoyed building the system and running it. Lessons were learnt in water chemistry and root health.
Personally I like to think we haven’t nor will ever find the perfect system. We just keep chasing better
For most of the planet, cannabis cultivation is still illegal and heavily enforced. I honestly can not wait for countries like Australia, New Zealand and UK etc to enter the legal cultivation space.
I predict some EPIC Aussie, kiwi and brit YouTube grow channels in the future with awesome weird shit being shared because sometimes the best innovation comes from being oppressed.
These countries also are huge innovators in the tech space so Im looking forward to it.
I feel the last thing the world needs is another grow channel flogging overpriced LEDS and shit nutrients by kids with 5 min growing experience ![]()
Maybe ole mate in North Korea growing weed in a spare room using Korean natural farming principles and growing his plants upside down is getting 3g per watt?!
I know people who treat it as they would a soil grow with success. By that I mean manual watering, alternating a feed/water schedule, lifting pot, etc. . . . treating it like soil. It works but they take twice as long in veg and yield less overall.
DWC/RDWC are great methods but I prefer the reliability and stability of the setup I run.






