Help - broken main stem

33 respostas · 257 visualizações

hoochie34

#10

Of course! :woman_facepalming:t2:
I think I’ll make it grow vertical with a stake but in a week, for now I’ll leave it alone.
I’ll also top it a bit later, as if it were one trunk from the start. I might even tape the main stem and that first branch together straight vertical later on, what do you think? :thinking:

Responder ↗
hoochie34

#11

So I put the broken branch/stem in water with some cinnamon, how long should it stay there, should I put it in soil, should I cover it with a ziploc bag to keep humidity in, etc. ?

The main plant is doing fine for now :crossed_fingers:t2:

Responder ↗
herr_gruen

#12

You should keep the humidity high as your cutting has no roots and can only absorb water through its leaves

Responder ↗
DeAzNuTz

#13

@hoochie34 I gotta be honest with you, the Mainlining training, SCROG, those techniques take too long to VEG and makes the whole cycle 5+ months instead of the usual 4 without training or I highly recommend checking out the “Schwazing” technique aka “Three A Light” meaning three pounds per single light which was a book like 20 years ago that was selling for $500 and I bought one after someone recommended it and I’m glad I did. This technique will give you the highest yield in the shortest amount of time and it’s pretty fascinating to watch your plants take shape of an upside-down umbrella :umbrella_with_rain_drops: with a flat top and all of the side branches are on the same height thus creating a flat top for best light penetration and coverage, and doing 3 full defoliations which also drastically help with light penetration and when it’s time to trim after drying, there won’t be much to trim making your trimming process significantly faster.

Here’s a link to a few 5 minutes videos showing step-by-step process which makes it very easy to follow and duplicate. The only difference is in the videos they’re showing only 2 defoliations. First one at day zero bloom (the day you’re flipping it to bloom or day after), 2nd defoliation is between days 21 and 23, but I also do a 3rd defoliation between days 40 and 45 but there won’t be many leaves left and it’ll take you 5 minutes to do. When I did side-by-side tests with 2 and 3 defoliations, the plant with 3 defoliations delivered better results and was faster to trim. A win-win in my book :open_book: :disguised_face:

Ironically, when I was buying grow lights from BlackDogLED when they first came out and I was talking to the owner and he was telling about the Growing How To videos he was recording at that time and started telling me about the process, long story short we realized we bought the same book and were using the same technique except I do 3 defoliations and he does 2. When the videos were finally posted I watched them and it was nice to see someone else using this technique and speaking so highly of it. I tried every training technique you can think of and this one is hands down the best in every way. The only way to know is to try it and see for yourself.

FYI… I have no affiliation with that company and I’m not trying to advertise anything and I am not getting any kind of compensation before sharing these videos. Simply sharing something then really works and works very well. I hope this helps :right_facing_fist::collision::left_facing_fist:

Here are some pics of it in action. I hope this helps :backhand_index_pointing_down:

Responder ↗
DheudeUDU

#14

As a rose​:rose::bouquet: gardener I can tell ya’
It worx to put a junior bud on a bigger stem.
Dey family after all.

Grafting 101
:diamond_with_a_dot:

Saved ya 500$ :wolf::shark:

Responder ↗
hoochie34

#15

Thanks @DeAzNuTz it’s a bit too much info for me right now but I’ll keep it in mind for later/another time :folded_hands:t2:

Responder ↗
hoochie34

#16

So should I top it at the first node (red) after where it broke, or above another one higher up (and trim below?) ?
Thanks!

Responder ↗
Crackadoo

#18

If you are set on the idea of mainlining i would go with the higher node too. Its almost going to be like starting fresh on the process.

Responder ↗
hoochie34

#19

Ok then, blue one it is! I’ll leave her alone another day or two and then top her there. And trim below?

Thanks :folded_hands:t2::smiling_face:

Responder ↗
Mjcalifornia

#20

Yeah, I top and strip a few times when I do mainline training. I’m about to do my third round but I split one shoot on each plant last round lol

Responder ↗
Mjcalifornia

#21

I probably won’t mainline next round cuz it does take a while but I’m out of town in early June so had to extend my veg this round so mainlining was the perfect way to do that

Responder ↗
Crackadoo

#22

I gave up on it years ago to be honest. Adding a month to each run ends up costing me an entire grow by the end of the year.

Responder ↗
hoochie34

#23

I hear you on the duration aspect but I have a very small grow space and have to maximize my harvest :sweat_smile:

So here’s how she looks this morning. I won’t be back for 10 days so I hope all goes well. She has a drip system to feed her (prepared solution) with a friend dropping by regularly to check on her :crossed_fingers:t2:
I potted the other one (the broken stem/branch) too.

Responder ↗
Crackadoo

#24

Even if it looks a bit odd you have basically restarted the process and it looks like you should just be able to proceed as normal, nice work.

Responder ↗
hoochie34

#25

Yes it would seem that way, wasted a week but not all is lost :flexed_biceps:t2:

Thanks all!

Responder ↗
PablosPlants

#27

In order to prevent the splitting of any stem during mainline training, one must always leave a “nub”at the cut site. Never cut it at the node site itself. Find it then shift slightly up and snip so u have a little stick poking out the top. I split 4 of my first 5 runs like clockwork till I started doing this. Not once since. Hope this helps in the future

Responder ↗
PablosPlants

#28

For future use. Invest in somereal deal honey.. and I mean real organic good fuckin honey. Might coat a bit but it pays for itself on the first break. If you ever snap branch and it’s stays connected apply honey to snap then secure with whatever u choose, I use electrical tape most times or painters. If it breaks all the way off and it can be used for a cutting then snip break at a 45deg and then snip the end cut twice. Once each way to basically try and make 4 shoots from the end of the cut. Then dip the end immediately in honey to seal the wound. I put mine in a plastic vial full of water in a stand. I can turn watch the shoots over time turn the shoots into a new root system. After 1 week or two I can usually then transplant to soil. Honey creates a natural barrier that prevents infection and helps healing damage. Let me know if you try it or if you found it helpful. I’ve done this to all my cuttings for a few years now and so far so good.

Responder ↗
hoochie34

#29

Thank you so very much for your answers and encouragement!
@PablosPlants very interesting and useful stuff, thanks :folded_hands:t2:

I just got back from 10 days and she’s doubled in size.
She got watered a bit too much the last 5 days (drip was open too wide by my friend :melting_face:) so I’ll leave her be for a while but other than that she’s beautiful.
I started gently bending the two “new” main branches but will take it slowly because she grew thick and strong in the meantime and I don’t want a repeat…
I also need to add a tutor to the main stem to keep her vertical.
And in a few days/a week, I’ll do the second and last step of the mainlining :flexed_biceps:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:


Responder ↗

Responder