Hi there,
Happy to share an Egg Tea which I find my plants enjoy. Since I have a small chicken coop of 7 hens, I thought I must experiment a bit with manure. First I wanted to try the Eggs, searched for it in Google and there are tons of nice articles. Here I like to share what worked for me.
Recommended by many were 10 to 15 egg shells for 1 L water ().
Another study is between 75 to 100 grams per plant as a slow release (https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1755-1315/755/1/012001/pdf).
So I tried,
- Washed 10 empty egg shells in plain tap water.
- Put them in the over 150°C for 10 minutes till the egg shels were light brown, dry and crispy.
- Crushed them with fingers to small bits and then powdered them in a blender. This egg shell powder is not like flour, but rather course in texture.
- Then I took 1L osmosis water(recommended is also distiled water or bottled water or natural water, just not direct tap water). Boiled the egg shell powder in water for 10 minutes.
- Set this tea to brew for 2 days in room temperature (18-22°C).
- Leaving this mixture for more than 10 days makes stink with a foul odour. I assume it is then more acidic.
Then I directly used it at the base of my plant once in a week during Veg and flowering phase. As I read, it seems to have good amounts of natural Calcium, Potasium, Magnesium and other trace minerals.
You might also try with egg shells from a super market or eggs shells from ducks or other birds if you have a chance. Please do share your experience. One can also mix Egg shells with spent coffee groundss. Here is a nice description of what is the chemical composition of these natural sources by PCA analysis. (Table - PMC)
Happy growing.